Gezellig


Gezellig - try and give that one a say.  The first and last letter G has a from the back of the throat sound.  If you look up the definition you will find: "The adjective gezellig can be used in a wide variety of situations: A room, restaurant, or café can be gezellig (meaning 'cozy' or 'inviting'). A person can be gezellig (meaning 'inviting' or 'pleasant' or 'funny', 'convivial' or 'sociable')"

Gezellig is a Dutch word; one that we used in our Dutch home as I grew up.  It was a word that described something that there was really no English word for.  I love using that word and sometimes I forget it's a Dutch word and accidently use it when I chat with friends and leave them staring at me wondering what I am saying.  

My son and his new wife started this really cool wood working crafty thing.  They made all sorts of the signage for their recent wedding along with the cricut machine they had.  You need to check out their instagram at this link.  Winkel's Worshop .  Besides signage they are a very crafty couple and make all sorts of cool things.  

Now with that being said, I have always wanted something in my house using that word Gezellig.  One evening I asked the couple if they could make me a sign with the word in the center and then all the words it describes around it.  We brain stormed all the words that described gezellig.  Words like intimate, pleasant, welcoming, cozy, hospitable, quaint, comfortable, warm, friendly, inviting, social, relaxing, charming, togetherness, homey, snug, cute, appealing ...there are probably many more words that describe it but these are those we came up with. 

 Last night they came over and presented me with this beautiful sign.  I absolutely love it and feel so blessed that they made it for me.  I had to find a prominent place to hang it and now it has it's spot.  I can sit here in my chair and admire it remembering what this special word means to me.  


Welcome to my GEZELLIG home!

No comments: