Wisdom I gain growing older




When I revived my blog I was trying to come up with a new name for it.  Way back when we had our son Zach there was this song that David used to sing for us and the chorus was "I'll treasure these years, growing older!"  A few years back I was talking with him about the song and he started singing it....what a better way to remember it forever that to record it.  Click the link and I hope it will take you to the song. 

Growing Older sung by David

When our children were young, David and I were not those young 20 year old parents.  We got married a little later in life and it was not until I was 1 1/2 months short of turning 36 when Zach was born,  37 1/2 when our twins were born and almost 39 1/2 when Josiah was born (another story for another time). We are now both in our 50's quickly approaching our 60's with young adult kids.   I really appreciate the fact that we were both older when we had children for the first time.  For me, I was able to experience life in the work force and when the kids came I was given the opportunity to be that stay at home Mom. And what an opportunity that has been.  I truly believe that our kids have been able to benefit from me being a stay at home Mom.  

The years that I have had with my kids being that stay at home Mom are years that I will treasure forever.  And now as I grow older and my kids grow older I feel we have moved into yet another stage in this crazy life.  New adventures, new experiences, new stages....growing older.  

Today I was feeling a little lost.  It actually started last night as I lay in bed alone because David was working a night shift.  I hate when my mind goes into overdrive when I am in bed.  Sleep never comes.  

With covid I am finding that I have become very much a loner.  The two primary people I am around are David and Naomi - that's it.  I used to go for coffee with friends, go out errand running, stuff like that.  Now going out to coffee with friends does not happen. Each one I used to do coffee with has their own little bubble of people they hang out with. Naomi and I do coffee together quite regularly which is great, but it's not the same.  

I am also finding that I am needed far less than I was when my kids were younger. Very normal! I used to be that person who my son used to call for advise. We used to have some heartfelt chats but now he has a wife he confides in (which is what he is absolutely supposed to do) and a new family who he spends a lot of time with (okay he lives in the same house so of course he spends a lot of time with them). The newlyweds may come over for a meal from time to time and I am thankful for that.  It's just a little rough coming to that realization that you are not really needed anymore by someone you raised and had around for so long (more or less 22 years).  It's all good though.  It's all part of that growing older!

My daughters are also very independent.  Rebekah is out working away at camp this summer. I hear from her now and then.  Mostly when she needs some advice on her broken finger or on how to cook beans.  She's managed to get herself into her fourth year of university, no help from me and doing it with honours. She's one smart cookie like her brother and sister. but she knows I'm here for her when she does need me.  Like Rebekah, Naomi is also in college but she had taken a bit of a gap year so she is not as far along as Rebekah.  I am so thankful to have Naomi around this summer.  She's learning to drive so we are getting out a couple of times a week.  She's also able to spend time with friends, going out for coffee, to the movies, out to dinner.  It's nice she has a close bubble of friends. 

Life will continue to change, I will continue to grow older and I hope I will continue to grow wiser.  I know my kids will continue to need me, just not in the same capacity that they used to need me and I will learn to adapt.  I will come up with new hobbies (like this blog writing) to help pass the time.  

No comments: